Even the most generous men, would prefer not to pay more for his travel plans than he absolutely has to. So we thought we should share a few of our strategies on how to get the most bang for your buck. The less money you spend getting to your destination, the more you have to spend on making the most of your travel date with your travel companion.
Booking Your Flight
- The best time to book a flight is 8 weeks in advance. No sooner no later.
- The cheapest time to fly is Tuesday or Wednesday.
- If you’re going to Las Vegas, the cheapest time to leave is Saturday.
- The cheapest day to fly all year is Christmas Day.
- The cheapest time to book flights all year is January 4-14.
- Always search for flexible dates, and don’t be afraid to try one-way searching.
- If you find a flight on a wholesale site for a good price, make sure you check the airline’s site as well, it might be lower.
- Sign up for EVERY frequent flier mile club for EVERY airline you fly.
Booking Your Hotel
- If you find a deal on a wholesale site check the hotel site as well.
- Check hotel’s social media for codes and deals
- Skip the travel agent, do your own research on Trip Advisor, Yelp and Google Places.
- Don’t be afraid of trying a boutique hotel, hotel chains are not always the way to go.
- Don’t call a taxi from the airport, most hotels offer a complimentary shuttle if you request it.
- It doesn’t hurt to contact hotel reservations directly and see if you can catch a deal by booking more than one room (one for you and one for your travel companion)
- Don’t just check the travel books, also check Yelp and Google Places for reviews on things like local hot spots, unique cuisine, happy hours and deals that maybe hadn’t made it to print.
- If you are looking for tickets to a show or game, check StubHub and Craigslist as well as the venue site. A lot of people sell season tickets, or tickets to events they can’t make it to for a steep discount
What are your best travel tips to score the best deals?
Where does most of your money go when you travel?